Saturday, April 26, 2008

A slighting different music Vibe

I was recently contacted by two different brides, Ginger & Crisette that were interested in doing something slighting different with the dinner/cocktail music as well as dancing. They wanted a Contemporary Urban type vibe without it being too strong.

The style of music that works well for this is known as neosoul and its perfect for weddings. I actually loved neosoul back in my clubs days and I will jump at chance to integrate this type music genre into a wedding.

Here are few songs that will make for a great Urban Contemporary wedding sound track:

The Roots & Eryka Badu - You Got Me
Mos Def - Beauty in the Dark
Jill Scott - Long Walk
Jill Scott - Golden
Eyka Badu - Love of My Life
Common -I Want You
Floetry - Say Yes
Goaple - Closer
D'Angelo - Crusin
Les Nubians - Makeda

Mix the above up with some oldschool R&B songs like Surface, Al Green, Jodeci & Marvin Gaye and you will have the perfect mix that is cool, upbeat, and soulful.

I try to make each event unique based on the input from my clients. The music is really not about the DJ but about the couple and the vibe they want for their wedding. I good wedding DJ will always customize the music selections for each wedding through planning & good communication.

When planning your wedding think about the type of music that will help personalize your sound track to your reception.

No comments: